POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : contour mapping : Re: contour mapping Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: contour mapping
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 5 Dec 2000 12:43:45
Message: <3A2D2951.9C95E056@gmx.de>
Paul Jones wrote:

> Sorry....
>
> What I want is this: To take a height field, which may or may not be
> visible, and to create a series of closed loops, each loop sitting on a
> specific elevation and encompasing only one "hill" of the hf. Now,
> imagine that I apply a gradient y pigment to the hf, it would be
> possible to get this effect, except that I want each "countour line" to
> be 3-dimensional, like a pipe.

That makes things clearer...

I think it should be possible with an isosurface:

use the data for an image_pattern instead of the heightfield and use a
color_map similar to the one Warp suggested like:

color_map {
  [0.00 rgb 0]
  [0.59 rgb 0]
  [0.60 rgb 1]
  [0.61 rgb 0]
  [1.00 rgb 0]
}

Of course that's not enough, because the image_pattern is only 2d.  You
have to add a function for the y direction, for a round pipe it has to be
some trigonometric function.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>