POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : atmospheric scattering - blue skies : Re: atmospheric scattering - blue skies Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:26:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: atmospheric scattering - blue skies
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 1 Nov 2000 19:16:57
Message: <3A00B27B.70B810F5@peak.edu.ee>
janger wrote:

> Well, I am just trying to simulate it as good as possible. I don't get good
> enough results with using a simple sky sphere.

I usually create a plane or a large sphere to represent the ground, and a
slightly larger sphere to contain the atmosphere. The second sphere needs to be
hollow of course, in order for the atmospheric media to show up.
By using scattering media or a combination of emitting & absorbing media, you
will also get the natural darkening of the sky towards the zenith, since the
atmosphere is thinnest in that direction (relative to your viewpoint).

Here's a (very) crude example:

// This is the ground
sphere{
  -10000*y,10000