POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : atmospheric scattering - blue skies : Re: atmospheric scattering - blue skies Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:29:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: atmospheric scattering - blue skies
From: janger
Date: 31 Oct 2000 17:32:09
Message: <39ff4869@news.povray.org>
"Margus Ramst" <mar### [at] peakeduee> wrote in message

> Wavelength-dependant scattering is not possible in POV (at least not yet).
But
> you should be able to simulate it well enough with regular scattering (or
even
> just emitting & absorbing) media, coloured appropriately.
>
> --
> Margus Ramst
>
> Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee
> TAG (Team Assistance Group) e-mail: mar### [at] tagpovrayorg

Well, I am just trying to simulate it as good as possible. I don't get good
enough results with using a simple sky sphere.
I expected to accomplish my goal with a sphere containing a semi-transparent
pigment (layered with a blue pigment), and then add my clouds, but I just
can't get it to work properly. The reason I want to do this is to try and
model the earth (or any other planet), with all entities their correct size
and relative distance. For example, the earth with an atmosphere surrounding
it, so I can have cloud formations at the correct height, etc. Can I maybe
have a spherical shell ( a sphere with most of its insides removed with CSG
difference, or the inside replaced with my earth) containing cloud media,
and a transparent texture/pigment to "let in the sun"?
Maybe I'm trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, that's often the
case with pov and I :)