POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Length of spline... : Re: Length of spline... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:26:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Length of spline...
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 25 Oct 2000 04:56:32
Message: <39f6a040@news.povray.org>

Fabian BRAU <Fab### [at] umhacbe> wrote:
> If you know the exact form of the function (the spline) you
> can calculate the length of the spline, this involve a simple integrale.
> Actually this is what you do approximately by using straight line
> between point.

Yes, it seems obvious that you could integrate the spline function to find
the exact length.  But like I said, there is simply no known way *to*
integrate the function.  To create my Spline Macro File I searched and
re-searched the web for the right formulas, and also started from first
principals to derive the functions myself, before attempting (without
success) the necessary integration in MathCAD.  I guess it shows that there
are limits to our knowledge of mathematics....