POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Incremental Raytracing ??? : Re: Incremental Raytracing ??? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:23:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Incremental Raytracing ???
From: Jan Walzer
Date: 10 Oct 2000 10:16:37
Message: <39e324c5@news.povray.org>
I know what you mean ...
But: If I have a ray, I know it's direction and I can follow him and see
which "rooms" in my octree would be hit ...
Lets say for every Pixel I do this to create my New Scene-Description-File:
    First set every Roomin my octree to 0. (If I have depth 4 then there
will be 4096)
    When I trace the Ray:
        I have the starting-point and the End point of ONE traced ray.
        Then I can mark the rooms where they are in and every room between
        them ("between" in the virtual space, not in the tree) with 1.
        At the End-Point, where something happens, maybe multiple new Rays
        are send out, but handled the same way.
        When all the sub-Rays have terminated, and I know the color of my
current Pixel(Ray)
    I look which rooms are marked with 1 and save them.
        For 4096 Subrooms I would need additional 512Byte for every Pixel I
render
    This would make my File at 640x480 150MB (157'286'400Byte) ... hmmm
quite a lot ...

But now on a retrace I can compare my Old-Scenefile and my current
scene-file and look which rooms have changed ...
When tracing the new file then, I just need to look if a ray for the Pixel
is through one of the changed rooms ...

Hmmm ... but it still wouldn't solve radiosity ...

--
  ,',    Jan Walzer      \V/  http://wa.lzer.net     ,',
 ',','   student of      >|<  mailto:jan### [at] lzernet ',','