POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Incremental Raytracing ??? : Incremental Raytracing ??? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Incremental Raytracing ???
From: Jan Walzer
Date: 10 Oct 2000 08:41:11
Message: <39e30e67$1@news.povray.org>
No ... I don't mean something like the mosaic-preview ...

A friend brought me to the idea of incremental raytracing like he does when
incremental compilings ...

The compiler only compiles the files, that changed since the last run...

What I mean is:
    What would be, if we had an option in POV to create additionally a file
to save some dependencies...
Of course, we need to do this for every Pixel and every Object. We should
save for every Pixel, which object have been passed for this Ray. If only an
object changed, that didn't affect that pixel, we do not need to rerender
it. Maybe it helps for small changes in Meshes...
Of course this Info-File would be gigantic, the more Objects there are in
the scene...

On the other Hand, it is possibly better to do this not Object-dependend but
with the Octrees of our virtual space ...
If we seperate the space with octrees till a given depth (say 4 here) then
we have n (4096) sub-rooms. We can tell for every traced Ray(or Pixel) if in
this room something happend to it.
And we can detect if in a scene something in this room could have changed
and would affect it. If so, we need to render it again, but if not, we can
reuse it.

I don't know how good it can handle Radiosity, because one small bright
object can affect a hole scene, but for some testing in positioning objects
it may me helpful (if my thoughts are right)

Of course... You already have surely thought about this ... (I believe)

--
  ,',    Jan Walzer      \V/  http://wa.lzer.net     ,',
 ',','   student of      >|<  mailto:jan### [at] lzernet ',','