POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : advanced question.... : Re: advanced question.... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:22:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: advanced question....
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 27 Oct 2000 10:00:46
Message: <39F97BD7.998AF504@peak.edu.ee>
Paul Daniel Jones wrote:

> Is it possible, or would it not be very cool, if you could take a
> primative and apply a normal modifier and have the parser perturb the
> surface for you? Sort of a built in isosurface. I think it would be hard
> to do and 'to expernsive.... but would be cool anyway.

No, not as such. Regular primitives and isosurfaces use different methods for
finding the intersection. AFAIK it is not possible to modify the topology of the
former with an arbitrary function.

> With isosurfaces, what is the relationship between the bounding sphere
> size and location and the resultant isosurface. I am haveing a deuce of
> a time getting them to work.... ;-(

If the bounding sphere/box is smaller than the isosurface, the isosurface (or
parts thereof) gets cut off. There's no other relationship. You just have to
make sure the bounding object is small enought, or conversely, the isosurface is
small enough. Remember that the isosurface is formed through points where a
function has a certain 'threshold' value.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee