POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : What do vista and light buffers do? : Re: What do vista and light buffers do? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do vista and light buffers do?
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 30 Aug 2000 13:24:02
Message: <39AD45AF.9205D1B6@free.fr>
> The light buffers are similar, one per light, and are used for tracing
> shadow rays.

	Don't know well the algo though...
	For lights these are not only 2D but 3D: a box which
faces have a 2D representation of the objects around. Using light
buffers can be greatly memory expensive if a lot of lights are used
(as in my unique IRTC entry 2 years ago:
http://oz.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1998-08-31/afterain.jpg
) but should speed up almost all scenes. However sometimes light
buffers are not desirable for instance when some objects are not
well projected on the light boxes (it happened me once, but don't
remember exactly how).

*** Nicolas Calimet
*** http://pov4grasp.free.fr