POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Question on isosurfaces. : Re: Question on isosurfaces. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:29:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question on isosurfaces.
From: David Fontaine
Date: 6 Aug 2000 18:02:03
Message: <398DDE68.18747833@faricy.net>
You cannot do this with a hexagon pigment; a soccer ball is a truncated
icosahedron (or icosadodecahedron as Peter said), meaning if you take an
icosahedron and chop off the points you will get a soccer ball. I'm not sure an
isosurface is your best bet; you could define individual hexagons/pentagons and
tile them.

CreeD wrote:

> Hi.  I'm looking to make a soccer ball-like object that combines
> two functions into one isosurface:
> A: the ball
> and B: The hexagons on the ball. I want these hexagons to be raised, which
> is why
> I'm using an isosurface and not a sphere with a function as a surface
> normal.
>
> In addition I'm trying to use random numbers to generate random hexagon
> colors
> on this ball.
>
> Can someone tell me what's wrong with this code?  I have several problems
> that have stumped me.
>
> 1. Both the hexagon pigment and the isosurface function"FHexagon" tend to
> create
> the hexagons asymmetrically, so that at the poles of my sphere there are
> hexagons,
> and these "extrude" downwards along the y axis to the opposite pole. I'd
> like
> hexagons all around the equator as well.

[snip]

--
David Fontaine     <dav### [at] faricynet>     ICQ 55354965
Please visit my website: http://www.faricy.net/~davidf/