POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Quintic Splines : Quintic Splines Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:29:21 EDT (-0400)
  Quintic Splines
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 29 Jul 2000 01:53:25
Message: <39827155@news.povray.org>
I'm working on a system for making fly-throughs of landscapes.  I've run
into a problem: The camera follows the specified path just fine, and turns
properly.  However, when making those turns, it doesn't bank properly.  If I
understand the math I'm using properly, the cause of this problem is that a
cubic spline is smooth in the path and first derivative (which gives me the
position and turning), but not in the second derivative (which is used for
the bank).  So, I need the math for creating quintic (fifth order) splines.
Does anyone know anything about this, or where I can find the information I
need?

Mark