POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : passing of variables through commandline ??? : Re: passing of variables through commandline ??? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:30:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: passing of variables through commandline ???
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 17 Jul 2000 19:36:19
Message: <39739873@news.povray.org>
Jan Walzer <wal### [at] informatikuni-hallede> wrote:
> Is there a way, to pass some values from the commandline to some
> variables ???
> I know it is possible for "clock", but wouldn't it be a good idea
> to make this available for all variable you use uninitialized ???
> maybe a "-V(variable=<x,y,z>)"-switch ... (if it is still
> available)
>
> It could help on tweaking images, or even if you're debugging
> your scripts, wouldn't it ???
>
> If not: possbly a feature request ???

For people using a GUI version of POV-Ray, having the actual file open in
the editor (and making changes directly to it) is probably quicker and
easier than using command line arguments.  Personally I use the DOS
command-line version of POV, and even so I find it quicker to edit the file
directly (using a set of custom batch files to give me an interface between
the editor and POV-Ray).

Therefore, I think the ability to pass variables through the command-line is
fairly redundant - even with a large scene, you can create a small POV file
that lists the variable declarations you want and includes the larger
file(s) as needed.