POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Need help with rand/seed : Re: Need help with rand/seed Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need help with rand/seed
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 13 Jul 2000 14:56:31
Message: <396E10DF.825D8F9D@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
CreeD wrote:

[...]
> ironically, this is in the 'language basics' section.
> Did you write it?
> But seriously.  Talk to me like I'm a truck driver.  When it says 'the next
> pseudo random number from the stream specified' I'm not sure what a stream
> is - a sequence of numbers (1,2,3,4, etc and it picks one of those) or a
> set (0-1,234)?
> As for uniformly distributed, does that mean the result will be whole or
> what?

That's probably because the manual is written by programmers (I suppose) and
sometimes uses programming terms for precise description.  IMO, thats ok,
because Povray also requires some programming abilities on the side of the
user.

I know the difficulties of manual writing form own experience, you should really
try to learn some of those programming terms.  IMO, these phrases are much more
helpful for understanding certain functions, than any effort to describe things
in more common words.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>