POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : (anims) how to evaluate position of camera at a point in time? : Re: (anims) how to evaluate position of camera at a point in time? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:20:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (anims) how to evaluate position of camera at a point in time?
From: ryan constantine
Date: 12 Jul 2000 20:13:13
Message: <396D08BC.43C7ACD1@yahoo.com>
CreeD wrote:

> 1. I know how to get a circular camera path in an animation, and a partial
> circle.  What's the math to make the camera move in a smooth arc from one
> point to another? Is there a way to declare it so that I can define the
> flatness of the arc and its length and direction by changing a few figures?

there is spline animation to get objects and cameras alike to move in
smooth curves.  there is a macro by chris colefax made just for this
purpose.

> 2. Is there a way in a multistage animation for me to figure out where the
> camera is exactly at some point during the clock's rundown and then have
> POV fill that in to
> a second statement?  Let me be clearer.
> I want something like this:
> The ini has the clock running from 0 to 2
>
> #if (clock >=1)
> camera
> location blah
> direction <0,0,1>
> translate blah*clock
>
> #else //pov figures out stage 2 has begun
> camera (POV evaluates  camera's exact position after the clock hits 1.0)
> location (POV fills that position in here)
>
> Obviously I could do the math by hand, but I'm not going to do an animation
> with just one or two stages, and I was wondering if POV could determine the
> camera's location on a circular path at some odd point like clock = 1.35
> (which is math I'm too lazy to do by hand).

 i think you meant <= 1 in that first part.  what i would do is just use
two cameras.  but you could also define a variable, CamPosition, and
then update that with clock (instead of changing the camera itself) and
put this variable in the camera's location.  then, you'd already have
the info you need for the second part in that same variable.