POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Tips for metal textures : Re: Tips for metal textures Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:27:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tips for metal textures
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 9 Jul 2000 20:44:47
Message: <39691c7f@news.povray.org>

news:3968E842.8F9AD9E6@club-internet.fr...
| I'd like to know if some of you have some tips to render metallic
| textures.
| What kind of value they give to brilliance, diffuse, ambient,.....
| If they add normal to it.....
|
| I'd like to know how the others deal with it and how they build them.

Asking the wrong person here, I use such a variety of values in each of those
keywords.  Don't forget specular highlights and reflection too.  Really
depends on the type metal you are trying to make.  metals.inc file shows the
usual way to go about it.  Sometimes you might also want some 'crand' in
there.  I think one of the more important aspects of a metal is the amount of
reflection color plus diffuse.  'reflection_blur' and 'reflect_metallic' in
MegaPov are a couple other things.
Anyway, it gets to be difficult to narrow it all down; a glass object can look
very much the same as a metal one if both are very reflective and chrome-like.
A dirty rusted metal can seem similar to stone.

Bob