POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : can anyone suggest a better solution for my problem? : Re: can anyone suggest a better solution for my problem? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: can anyone suggest a better solution for my problem?
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 27 Jun 2000 18:23:41
Message: <395928E6.F377C234@online.no>
Oded wrote:

> This is more of of a mathematical problem than a practical one:
> can any one think of a better way to create the following object type:
> I was thinking, while trying to convert a dodchahedron to a 3d star, of an
> object that will give the user higher control of defining 'in' and 'out' in
> CSG objects. in pov-ray you can only define intersections, inverses and
> unions.
> I was thinking of more complicated rules, eg:
>     a point A is "inside" function (a1....a12) if it is         inside 11
> out of 12 objects.
> what i needed to do for that was to define a union of 12 intersections of 6
> objects which was was quite dirty (mathematically speaking)
> eventually i ended up writing a c program to raytrace these objects defined
> soly by the 12 objects.

I don't think I understand your problem.
Please try to explain more.

What is a1 ... a12 ?

Are your 6 objects each passing through a pair of opposite
"facets" in the dodecahedron ?

And don't you mean union of 15 intersections of 6 objects ?

1 & 2, 1 & 3, 1 & 4, 1 & 5, 1 & 6
2 & 3, 2 & 4, 2 & 5, 2 & 6
3 & 4, 3 & 5, 3 & 6
4 & 5, 4 & 6
5 & 6

I'm going off-line for a couple of days now so maybe someone
else can answer your questions if you give more information.

Tor Olav
--
mailto:tor### [at] hotmailcom
http://www.crosswinds.net/~tok/tokrays.html