POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : can anyone suggest a better solution for my problem? : can anyone suggest a better solution for my problem? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  can anyone suggest a better solution for my problem?
From: Oded
Date: 27 Jun 2000 15:56:36
Message: <395906f4@news.povray.org>
This is more of of a mathematical problem than a practical one:
can any one think of a better way to create the following object type:
I was thinking, while trying to convert a dodchahedron to a 3d star, of an
object that will give the user higher control of defining 'in' and 'out' in
CSG objects. in pov-ray you can only define intersections, inverses and
unions.
I was thinking of more complicated rules, eg:
    a point A is "inside" function (a1....a12) if it is         inside 11
out of 12 objects.
what i needed to do for that was to define a union of 12 intersections of 6
objects which was was quite dirty (mathematically speaking)
eventually i ended up writing a c program to raytrace these objects defined
soly by the 12 objects.