POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Odd refraction phenomena. (Water to Air) : Re: Odd refraction phenomena. (Water to Air) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Odd refraction phenomena. (Water to Air)
From: Simen Kvaal
Date: 1 May 2000 05:13:36
Message: <390d4ac0$1@news.povray.org>

>My instinct would be to difference the bubbles out of the water, which has
>an ior, and also to place the camera *inside* a bubble (or rather, an
>air-filled lens), e.g.:

Yeah, I've figured it out. And also, as mr Hughes pointed out, the
definition of "odd" is relative... I made an animation of a waterbox with a
morphing superellipsoid to get a more distanced view, and I have to admit it
looks natural.

In fact, It's okay to place the camera into empty air and give the bubble an
ior of 1.01/1.33. The method I use, however, is an isosurface with (waves on
top,) and subtract the bubbles, and place the camera inside the isosurface.
(Kills the short render-time, though...)

>This way, a ray is bent after it leaves the camera, then bent back when it
>enters a bubble (or exits the surface of the water).  I haven't tested it,
>but hopefully this will give you the effect you're after...

I have to test this!! Kind of emulates an underwater camera? Hopefully it
will give a wonderful perspective distortion.

:)

Simen.