POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Height field bug? : Re: Height field bug? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height field bug?
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 30 Apr 2000 20:30:27
Message: <390cd023@news.povray.org>
Sigmund Kyrre Aas as### [at] studntnuno> wrote:
>I didn't get any response in the images group..
>
>The hf with smooth set seems to be transmitting light. I'm using a
pattern{} to
>keep the scene all text. The same can be reproduced with a regular hf in
the
>official version. Is this a known bug?

Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet> replied:
> If it were a bicubic_patch I'd call it double_illuminate trouble, but
> I don't think hf's have this problem. I'm at a loss too.

But aren't the smooth height field and the bicubic patch essentially the
same?  i.e. they are both internally subdivided into meshes of smooth
triangles.  This means that, in official POV at least, they both use double
illumination, which is why you get the translucent effect.