POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Odd refraction phenomena. (Water to Air) : Odd refraction phenomena. (Water to Air) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:21:18 EDT (-0400)
  Odd refraction phenomena. (Water to Air)
From: Simen Kvaal
Date: 29 Apr 2000 20:31:02
Message: <390b7ec6$1@news.povray.org>
See (small) image in p.b.i. for visual impression.

I am trying to model air-bubbles in water, and ran across this problem:
Exactly _how_ does one model the camera _in_ water, viewing bubbles of air?
At first, I thought maybe place the camera inside an object with ior about
1.33 (water), then add objects (bubbles) with ior about 1.01 (air). That
produced weird results, however exactly the same as the second method.

The second method was using the law pysics: The ior is relative, I thought,
therefore, light passing from air into water, where air has (absolute) ior
1.01 and water (absolute) ior 1.33, would give a relative ior of 1.33/1.01
(water/air). When light passes from water to air, OTOH, we will get a
relative ior of 1.01/1.33, so I simply placed camera in space, and let the
bubbles have ior 1/1.33. That gave me exactly the same results as before. It
seems iors below 1 is not allowed, judging from the image I get.

The scene is really simple. A checkered plane with inverse applied to place
camera outside it. (Removing inverse places the camera inside, ie into the
water.) The sphere is just that; a sphere.

I've tried several combinations; all giving more or less the same results:
*Difference between (water-)box and sphere.
*Difference between (water-)plane and sphere.
*Sphere inside box.
*Sphere inside plane.

Any suggestions?