POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Turbulence : Re: Turbulence Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:15:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Turbulence
From: Ron Parker
Date: 24 Feb 2000 08:26:04
Message: <38b5316c@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 15:02:43 +0200, Margus Ramst wrote:
>Well, on a XZ plane and a gradient x I'd say a warp{pigment{marble} x} would
>produce the zig-zag pattern.
>Each point of the gradient would be warped along the specified axis (here x),
>and the amount of warping would depend on the current value of the warp pattern
>(marble = gradient z triangle_wave which goes min>max>min>... along the z axis).

marble is gradient x triangle_wave.  From the docs:

  Earlier versions of POV-Ray did not allow you to change wave types. Now that
  wave types can be changed for most any pattern, the distinction between
  marble and gradient x is only a matter of default wave types.

Applying the warp I suggested to an xy plane would yield the desired result by
the mechanism you've explained quite well.  Applying the warp you suggested
to an xz plane would give you something different and potentially very
interesting, because it's offsetting in the direction of the change in value.