POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Turbulence : Re: Turbulence Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:16:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Turbulence
From: Ron Parker
Date: 23 Feb 2000 08:41:31
Message: <38b3e38b@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 06:21:21 -0500, Chris Huff wrote:
>"tri-pattern", consisting of 3 patterns each with an optional waveform
>modifier(which is actually part of the pattern in the source) and a
>multiplier(or maybe two numbers indicating a range for the pattern), one
>for each dimension. A triangle wave turbulence would pe something like
>this: turbulence 0.25 < solid 0 0, gradient x 1, solid 0 0>(notice that
>this uses my solid pattern). I had abandoned this idea since it would
>require evaluating 3 different patterns for every point(possibly slowing
>things down) and would probably be difficult to control.

See my other post for my suggestion.  It doesn't quite solve the same problem
yours does, though, because there's no way to warp a point based on its
original position, so you couldn't add warps together like what you're proposing
would; you can only do them in sequence.  Perhaps a

  warp { [sum|difference|cross]
    warp {blah blah blah}
    warp {blah blah blah}
  }

would be an interesting addition as well.