POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : finish_map? : Re: finish_map? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:25:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: finish_map?
From: Eiki Martinson
Date: 31 Mar 2000 16:41:28
Message: <38E67D48.9DE90CFB@gate.net>
ryan constantine wrote:

> to do this the dumb way, you could make a 256 color greyscale image and
> make a separate texture for each (the same, only with varying shininess)
> and map each to the 256 shades.  you might be able to write a macro to
> do this for you.
>
> Sigmund Kyrre Aas wrote:
> >
> > anonymous wrote:
> > > I would like to able to assign different finishes to different areas of
> > > a texture using a map image; call it a 'finish_map'. Having often seen
> >
> > Dear anonymous. This can be done with material_map since it contains textures,
> > and textures contain finishes. I'm not sure what your question is because you
> > seem to know that already..

bleah! That IS dumb. By the way, I am the "anonymous" that first posted this; sorry
for the confusion. You see, I have to keep switching my netscape "identity"
settings back and forth between anonymous with an email address of ano### [at] anoncom,
to Eiki Martinson/dumpms@gate.net. This is because I fear, rightly or wrongly, that
these settings are also available to web pages. Time to get off of netscape for my
mail and news needs, I think.