POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : finish_map? : finish_map? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  finish_map?
From: anonymous
Date: 30 Mar 2000 23:40:39
Message: <38E58E07.46364CA6@gate.net>
I would like to able to assign different finishes to different areas of
a texture using a map image; call it a 'finish_map'. Having often seen
3d artists use specular or shininess maps with other programs,
I expected I would be able to in pov as well, perhaps by clever use of
material_map to map entire textures onto the object, with different
finishes for each. This doesn't produce the desired result: material_map
is designed to use indexed color images, with one texture assigned to
each color in the index. What I really want is to be able to use a black
and white image, with lighter pixels indicating that more shininess
should be applied there. What can I do?