POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Inset texture maps : Re: Inset texture maps Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inset texture maps
From: anonymous
Date: 30 Mar 2000 23:20:15
Message: <38E5893F.2DB15EED@gate.net>
Remco de Korte wrote:

> Ken wrote:
> >
> > Mark Wagner wrote:

> > something
> > >
> > > A normal_map or bump_map using negative bump heights should work.
> > (No
> > > guarentees, I've never used bump/normal maps).
> > >
> > > Mark
> >
> >   Another thing you can do with bump maps images is to use black
> > patterns
> > on a white background. What this does is leave low areas where the
> > pattern
> > is and raises the rest of the surface in effect giving you negative
> > bump
> > mapping. On a two sided object such a sword blade you may have to
> > split
> > it into two pieces, front and back, to get a different pattern on each
> > side and then union the two halves back together.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Tyler -  1300+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing
> > Links:
> > http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html
> > http://www.povray.org/links/
>
> Would it be stupid to use a heightfield for this?
>
> Remco

I see no reason you couldn't use a HF for this. The reason you wouldn't
want to is that the bump-map should be quite a bit faster than actual
geometry. That's determined by your situation, of course. If the camera is
going to be REALLY close to the sword, the HF will give you better results.
If not, don't bother.