POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : difficult questions (for me anyway) : Re: difficult questions (for me anyway) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: difficult questions (for me anyway)
From: David Fontaine
Date: 8 Mar 2000 23:38:18
Message: <38C729F2.FF588583@faricy.net>
Mick Hazelgrove wrote:

> I've two questions:
>
> I have a cylinder from 0 to x*1, rotate it randomly around the y axis. Can I
> find the xyz values of the end point that was x*1?

cylinder { <0,0,0>,<1,0,0>,n rotate bla*y } //correct?
then the end point will be <sin(bla),0,cos(bla)>

> If so: I make a second cylinder from this point to x*2 and rotate it
> randomly - does it rotate around zero or around the end point of cylinder
> one? If it rotates around zero how can I make it rotate around the end of
> cylinder one? do I have to translate it to zero, then rotate it, then
> translate it to the end of cylinder one?

Unfortunately, yes. Maybe I should add arbitrary origin to those macros... :-)

--
 | \     |_          <dav### [at] faricynet> <ICQ 55354965>
 |_/avid |ontaine        http://www.faricy.net/~davidf/

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad." -Dali