POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : 2 questions : Re: 2 questions Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2 questions
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 3 Mar 2000 13:28:14
Message: <38C004B6.EFD15881@peak.edu.ee>
Paul Daniel Jones wrote:

> 1) What is the best way to light a scene containing a lot of glass. ie:
> drinking glasses with liquid etc. I have tried multiple light sources
> (point lights and area lights) but just cant seem to get it right. The
> scene is either too light or two dark and the glasses all have very dark
> regions in them. Should I encase the whole thing in a box or sphere to
> increase the amount of ambient light?

Note that besides the possible max_trace_level problem, dark areas can
be caused by total internal reflection, i.e. the inside of the glass can
reflect a dark part of the scene (such as a black background)
Total internal reflection is a component of refraction calculations, it
is independent of the 'reflection' keyword and currently cannot be
turned off (anyway, the glass would usually look unrealistic without it)

Margus