POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Triangle Theives Jailed : Re: Triangle Theives Jailed Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Triangle Theives Jailed
From: Charles Fusner
Date: 27 Feb 2000 19:33:25
Message: <38B9B5AF.36F46719@enter.net>
Nieminen Juha wrote:

> Charles Fusner <cfu### [at] enternet> wrote:
> : 1.) that some converters and modellers throw out any
> : normals you try to supply and recompute them "for" you using
> : cross produces, as Ron observed
>
>   This is disastrous.
>   It destroys all your normal calculations.

Yes, it's quite disappointing. It does mean, of course, that
I don't have to worry about whether trace() returns the regular
normal or the perturbed normal, since the perturbation would be
thrown out anyway. But... since my experiments have revealed that
this doesn't produce high quality meshes anyway (I'm now convinced
that would require internal access to the individual primitive types
and their surface parameters) I guess it can still be used to produce
low to medium quality meshes that are only good for scaling and
positioning reference objects, although they won't *look* more than
passingly like the originals.

Charles