POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Triangle thieves on my harddrive? : Re: Triangle thieves on my harddrive? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Triangle thieves on my harddrive?
From: Charles Fusner
Date: 24 Feb 2000 17:06:45
Message: <38B5AA3E.E9BC37C7@enter.net>
Philippe Debar wrote:

> Wild idea form someone who does not know much about all this - I:
> Is the order in which the vertices are written always the same relative to
> the direction of the normals? Paraphrase: looking always from the same side
> of the mesh (inside/outside), are the vertices always written in clockwise /
> anticlockwise order? I think some file formats / programs use this order to
> determine inside/outside.
> I do not know if this helps, but I hope it does

Aha... this is a possibility I'll have to try. I wasn't aware
that this might make a difference, but if it does, it's possible
it could in fact be the problem. I use a rectagular strip of
test points that get output if valid triangles are found, and
not being aware the order would matter, made no special effort
to put them in any particular arrangement at output time. I
just confirmed the normals are being recomputed "for" me, because
the normals that got output from a converted RAW file didn't
match up with the ones supplied in the source file.

So.. if the converters/modllers are throwing out my normals and
computing their own based on the order of the point output...
well, it's easy to see how that might create the problem I'm
seeing. I haven't got a lot of time this evening, but it looks
like tommorow I've got a new set of experiments to run.

Thanks!
Charles