POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Bi-cubic to cubic spline conversion : Bi-cubic to cubic spline conversion Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:29:58 EDT (-0400)
  Bi-cubic to cubic spline conversion
From: Bret Slivka
Date: 27 Jan 2000 01:54:33
Message: <388FEC19.9CF84A00@chisp.net>
I'm not sure if this question is advanced enough for this group.. But
I'll give it a try.
Is there away to convert a bicubic, or bezier spline as used in
illustrator to a cubic spline as used in povray, to make smooth prism or
lathe objects with contours defined in illustrator-- or any other
program or spline designer?  I don't know the math behind a cubic spline
and have been unable to find it on the internet so far. I've noticed the
behavior of a cubic spline and noticed that it's difficult to make sharp
corners.. of course, unless you use multiple sections. The problem with
this is that multiple spline sections would produce a discontinuous
shape in povray... and I believe that the starting and ending points of
a prism object are required to be identical. I've resorted to simply
using a linear aproximation of the bezier spline in the prism which is
fairly satisfactory.. but it would be nice to know this for future
reference anyway.  Thanks in advance, and to advanced.

-Bret