POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Inset texture maps : Re: Inset texture maps Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inset texture maps
From: Ken
Date: 25 Jan 2000 00:46:00
Message: <388D37D6.54EE2FA0@pacbell.net>
Mark Wagner wrote:

> Jon Wooldridge wrote in message <388C1D49.F23C00E1@gte.net>...
> >Is it possible to create a normal_map (or similar) that does something
> >like this, or do I have to resort to adding another cube?
>
> A normal_map or bump_map using negative bump heights should work.  (No
> guarentees, I've never used bump/normal maps).
>
> Mark

  Another thing you can do with bump maps images is to use black patterns
on a white background. What this does is leave low areas where the pattern
is and raises the rest of the surface in effect giving you negative bump
mapping. On a two sided object such a sword blade you may have to split
it into two pieces, front and back, to get a different pattern on each
side and then union the two halves back together.