POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : car motion, calculus : road following cars and car following roads :) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:19:25 EDT (-0400)
  road following cars and car following roads :)
From: cc
Date: 22 Jan 2000 00:31:07
Message: <3889409b@news.povray.org>
This is true...   Yes I have made animations where the road follows the car
instead of the usual car-follows-the-road situation. :)   And yes I have
been having to do trial and error if I want the car to follow the road.
Trial and error is what I'm trying to make easier... faster.   I like your
idea of differentiating from a pre-defined path...  Really turns the problem
around. :)   I'd still like to figure out how to control the car directly in
a clean, sybolic way if possible (as oppposed to numeric approximations,
Riemann (sp?) sums etc.)  (I'm ignoring floating point roundoff)   When you
say I "would have to compute the Bessel functions (or whatever)
numerically," do you mean something like for example taking a sum of some
formula as n goes from 1 to something aribitrarily large?  Anyway it's
starting to sound doubtful that it can reasonably be done symbolically... or
maybe I should say, not without inventing some new symbols... something to
go along with the trig functions etc?...

-Charles