POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Adding forces to points in curves : Re: Adding forces to points in curves Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:22:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adding forces to points in curves
From: Rune
Date: 30 Dec 1999 11:51:27
Message: <386b8d8f@news.povray.org>
Peter Popov wrote:
>On Tue, 28 Dec 1999 23:33:16 +0100, "Rune" <run### [at] inamecom>
>wrote:
>
>>However, I'm not sure what the difference is between this:
>>
>>>Do this until no force is greater than a certain threshold value
>>
>>...and this:
>>
>>>or even better, the standard deviation of the forces
>>>falls below a certain level (i.e. the spline is equistressed).
>
>The difference is that if you have too many points, the forces between
>them may be great but still equal, which would force the first
>algorithm into an infinite loop, while the second (which looks at the
>deviation) will stop seeing that all forces are virtually equal.

Thanks, I get it now. :-)

I've tested your method and it seems to work fine. I still need to optimize
it though. So far I've just looped the code a certain number of times, but I
want to optimize it so it stops automatically when no more calculations are
needed, like you described.

Greetings,

Rune

---
Updated December 22: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,