POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Render Speed : Re: Render Speed Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render Speed
From: David Vincent-Jones
Date: 29 Dec 1999 13:56:53
Message: <386a5975@news.povray.org>
Ken,  I ran a few tests last night and found that the transparent plane was
a major, but not total cause of the lockup.

This is my code:
#declare Sea =  plane { y, (0)
 texture { pigment {color rgbf <0.85,0.95,1.0,0.75>}
 finish  { ambient 0.1 reflection 0.05 brilliance 1.0}}}

When I commented out the above most of the frames ran fine with a time per
frame of around 8.5 minutes.

There was a significant speed-up when I then removed the AA 0.3; it came
down to 2.5 mins.

I do have 8Mb. video on an ATI card but anyway I reduced my screen
resolution down to 1024 x 768 , that did not change anything.

It almost feels as if the video is getting overloaded or not getting
sufficiently 'flushed' between frames.

Do you know of any tests that will really quantify the video performance for
PV usage.