POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Parsing vs. Rendering Performance : Re: Parsing vs. Rendering Performance Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:21:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parsing vs. Rendering Performance
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 30 Dec 1999 02:22:40
Message: <386B3260.2E38D48@ij.net>
Ken wrote:

> Benchmark testing generaly relies on the amount of time it takes
> to render a given scene. If one were to design a scene that was
> parsing intensive rather than render intensive how well would it
> evaluate a systems performance ?

    OK, let me ask you then, what is the point? With the conditions you set
up the issue appears trivial, the faster the clock the better.

    Benchmarks were the original drivers in the PC business. As soon as one
became popular software was optimized to do well on the benchmark. That lead
to a suite of benchmarks with the intention making them such that everything
had to be optimized to be overall better.

    But what does that mean to the user? It depends what you use it for.
Everyone writes to file but some do it more often than others. Folks playing
action games differ from those who place chess. What does a great video
benchmark mean to the chess players? or rendering folks for that matter?

    If the trend is towards pov scenes that are parse intensive certainly
there is going to be a call for faster parsing. And for the IRTC animation
competition image size parsing time is a non-neglibable consideration.

    Benchmark just a sphere compared to a superellipsoid of <2,2>. Same
shape but different rendering times.

    Everything about the computer can affect the time required. Why should
not everything about a scene have an effect? And therefore, what is the
benchmark to test?