POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : About types of projections : Re: About types of projections Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:28:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About types of projections
From: Rune
Date: 14 Dec 1999 17:01:17
Message: <3856be2d@news.povray.org>
Margus Ramst wrote:
>The only way the checker pattern isn't distorted is with the orthographic
>camera. The distortion of the perspective camera becomes obvious at high
camera
>angles (this is why the panoramic camera was added). At angles -> zero the
>distortion of the perspective camera is indeed negligible, since it starts
>look like orthographic projection (rays are nearly parallel). But try an
angle
>of, say, 150 and you know what I mean.
>Believe me, at least in the principles of planar and spherical projection I
was
>not mistaken.

What I meant when I said the checker pattern wouldn't become distorted, was
that each square of the checker pattern would be the same size and shape in
the output image. That might have been uncorrect wording but anyway, that's
what I meant :-)

I still insists that the rays *does* hit a plane perpendicular to the camera
viewing direction at *constant* *intervals*, and thus, the horisontal and
vertical angle between the camera rays *doesn't* remains constant.
However I said that the rays would be positioned more sparsely towards the
sides. That, of course, is wrong. The rays are positioned more sparsely
towards the *middle*.

Greetings,

Rune

---
Updated December 10: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,