POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Calculating curvature of a surface? : Re: Calculating curvature of a surface? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:29:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calculating curvature of a surface?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 4 Dec 1999 12:00:43
Message: <384a4882.485363348@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 03 Jan 2000 16:34:07 -0700, Kevin Wampler
<kev### [at] tapestrytucsonazus> wrote:

>It might also be useful to have an "accessibility" or "exposed" surface
>texture function.  How I would see this working is that at an evaluation
>point, several rays would be shot at the object (very much like the
>proximity pattern).  A value would then be returned based on what
>proportion of them hit the object (with possibly the distance until they
>did so factored in as well).  So, the more exposed a part of the object is,
>the more of the sampling rays will hit it, and a different value will be
>returned.

Accessibility in the sense that I was using it is not the same.  I was
using it in the sense it is used in a 1994 SIGGRAPH paper by Gavin
Miller.  In that sense, it is the radius of the largest sphere that
can get to the surface at that point, which determines how easy that
point is to clean, and thus how much "dirt" should accumulate there.