POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Calculating curvature of a surface? : Re: Calculating curvature of a surface? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calculating curvature of a surface?
From: Abe
Date: 4 Dec 1999 14:36:34
Message: <38496D27.D231EF5E@taconic.net>
I'll toss a thought into the ring, although this is a bit out of my
league...

I was thinking about the patina problem too, and with my tendency to shy
away from the 3D math, was considering the possibility of doing a
planetary z-buffer image of the relevant object, differentiating it and
reapplying the result as a texture map. Note that I was not initially
considering a change in the code. However, is it feasible do do
something similar, given that the surface normals have been acquired and
apply a finite-differencing scheme to get the second derivative? (This
may double up on what Kevin Wampler was talking about.)I have no idea
what the implications are in 3D with a non uniform sampling grid.

One of the caveats of this approach, however, would be sampling density
v. feature frequency resolution trade off.

Anyone tell me how far off the wall I am with this?

Abe