POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Calculating curvature of a surface? : Re: Calculating curvature of a surface? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calculating curvature of a surface?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 3 Dec 1999 11:15:08
Message: <3847ec8c@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 02 Dec 1999 19:27:01 -0500, Chris Huff wrote:
>I am working on a curvature pattern, inspired by the patina thread,
>which would be for textures only(it would return a constant value if
>used in media density). It would return a value depending on the amount
>the surface the evaluation point is on is curving.

Given what you're trying to do, you only need the maximum curvature at
that point.  Depending on direction of evaluation, the radius of
curvature of the surface can vary from zero (a ridge) to infinity (a
flat surface.)  A cube, for example, will have infinite radius of
curvature everywhere on its faces, and the edges will have either
zero or infinite radius of curvature depending on where your sample
point falls.  The vertices will have zero radius of curvature in all
directions, ideally (though precision errors will give you infinite
radii for them, too.)

For the sake of determining accessibility, the smallest radius of
curvature is the indicator: it doesn't matter that the surface is
perfectly flat in the X direction if it's so sharply curved in the
Y direction that you can't get your cleaning implements into the
groove.

Another consideration is that accessibility depends on which side
of the surface you're looking at.  You can't clean the outside
surface of that groove, because it's too narrow to fit your cleaning
tools, but you could clean the inside surface of the groove (i.e.
the other side of the sheet of metal) with any size tools, because
it bulges out from the surrounding surface.  This would generally
be handled by the texture map that's applied to the surface, but
your code may have to consider the possibility that surface normals
might be inverted (i.e. pointing into the surface) which would cause
some texturing wierdness.