POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : algorithm povray used? : Re: algorithm povray used? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: algorithm povray used?
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 2 Dec 1999 01:16:22
Message: <38460E98.D39C2307@mailbag.com>
Ming Jiang wrote:

> What is the Lions book? The source I downloaded is corrupt. I'll try to
> download it again. Thanks.
>
> Ming Jiang
>
> Alan Kong wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 21:09:56 -0600, Mark Gordon <mtg### [at] mailbagcom>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >The Lions book? ;-)
> >
> >   Mark, Ming Jiang probably meant the *POV-Ray* unix version source :)
> >
> > --
> > Alan - ako### [at] povrayorg - a k o n g <at> p o v r a y <dot> o r g
> > http://www.povray.org - Home of the Persistence of Vision Ray Tracer

I was joking.  John Lions wrote a commentary on the source code to Unix
that was published, along with the source code to Unix, for a university
class he taught.  It became quite popular and was often photocopied.
This was back in the 70's, and it's largely of historical interest at
this point.  The Lions book has since been reprinted, and I have a copy
close at hand.

When you said you had downloaded the "Unix source code," I read that
literally (for the sake of humor) to mean that you had downloaded the
source code to the Unix operating system.

-Mark Gordon