POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Fishtail math ><}}}*> : Re: Fishtail math ><}}}*> Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:26:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fishtail math ><}}}*>
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 20 Nov 1999 11:35:50
Message: <3836CDD1.6CEE9DA6@xs4all.nl>
ingo wrote:

> Remco de Korte wrote:
>
> >Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> >>
> >> I think there is a more serious problem with the sin cos solution.
> >>
> >> The sin cos solution prevents non unique positions along the x
> axis.
> >> Many
> >> kinds of aquatic animals, maybe some fish, would bend their bodies
> >> around so
> >> much that there might be two points of the body at some given x.
> >>
> >> Remco de Korte wrote:
> >>

> >I don't understand. This is just the thing that makes sin or cos a
> >reasonable choice, I thought.......
>
> For a simple fishtail you're right. But sometimes it's a sport doing
> thing
> a certain way. Run a 60 frame animation of the below scene (~5
> minutes), it
> shows what Greg means.
>
> #version 3.1;
> global_settings {assumed_gamma 1.0}
> light_source {
>    < 500, 500,-500>
>    rgb 1
> }
> camera {
>    location  <4, 0, -10>
>    look_at   <4, 0.0,0.0>
>    angle 90
> }
> // generates number between min & max
> // based on Value between 0, 1.
> #macro Vmm(Min,Max,Value)
>    (Min+((Max-Min)*Value))
> #end //macro
>
> #declare Pos=array[150]
>
> #declare i=0;
> #while (i<150)
>    #declare Pos[i]=<i/10,0,0>;
>    #declare i=i+1;
> #end
>
> #declare Angle   = radians(Vmm(-4,4,clock));
> #if (Angle !=0)
>    #declare Length  = Pos[1].x-Pos[0].x;
>    #declare Radius  = Length/Angle;
>    #declare Ccenter = <0, Radius, 0>;
>
>    #declare i=0;
>    #while (i<150)
>       #if (Pos[i].x=0)
>          // do nothing
>       #else
>          #declare L= Pos[i].x;
>          #declare Alpha= L/Radius;
>          #declare Pos[i]=
> (vrotate(<0,-Radius,0>,<0,0,degrees(Alpha)>))+Ccenter;
>       #end
>       #declare i=i+1;
>    #end
> #end
>
> #declare i=0;
> #while (i<150)
>    sphere{ Pos[i],0.3 pigment {rgb <1,0,0>}}
>    #declare i=i+1;
> #end
>
> Ingo
>
> --
> Photography: http://members.home.nl/ingoogni/
> Pov-Ray    : http://members.home.nl/seed7/

I tried rendering it but I still don't understand.
I admit this doesn't look good, but I didn't know the exact settings for
the animation(clock-values). What I did see was that there's no sin or
cos in your source so that doesn't clarify it to me either.
I'm sorry.
Still, it's not my problem 8)

Ciao!

Remco