POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Fishtail math ><}}}*> : Re: Fishtail math ><}}}*> Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fishtail math ><}}}*>
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 19 Nov 1999 15:48:30
Message: <3835B78C.EEB1C568@xs4all.nl>
ingo wrote:

> Peter Popov wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 19 Nov 1999 17:19:44 +0100, Remco de Korte
> ><rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:
> >
> >>I don't know if I understand your method exactly but I did a similar
> >>thing with a reasonable result using sin/cos-functions. ........
> >
> >But will this keep the distance between two consequitive spheres
> >constant? I don't think so, and unless your fish is made of natural
> >rubber, it's gonna hurt big time :)
>
> Exactly the reason why I don't want to use the sin / cos method.
>
> Ingo
>
> --
> Photography: http://members.home.nl/ingoogni/
> Pov-Ray    : http://members.home.nl/seed7/

How much stress will that cause?
And you're not telling me that you've never had to stretch while moving
haven't you?
Anyway, it's probably bad physics for a robot, but it works (for me) in
an image.
If the distance between sphere's really would be the problem you could
easily change your calculations to provide for that. That wouldn't
change the fact that if you had a really 3D-body there still would be
some stretching (inside vs outside of curve).

Remco