POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : scattering media: help! : Re: scattering media: help! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:25:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: scattering media: help!
From: Sean Worle
Date: 16 Nov 1999 18:38:14
Message: <3831EAA2.D06AD814@insurquote.com>
Edward Coffey wrote:

> Have you tried it with a very large sphere.  I think your problem may be
> scale dependant.

That's it.  Man, that was annoying.  My problem was that I misunderstood the
way media works.  That smoke looked great on the "First Strike" image, but the
clouds must have been a lot bigger.  Media apparently doesn't scale the way
other Material specs do.  A bigger sphere will not mean that the media gets
bigger, it just means that the media has more space to fill.  This means more
media, thus darker effect.  My sphere was too small, and so the light was
barely attenuated by the time it exited.  A bigger sphere means more media to
pass through.  I found that both scaling the sphere up and increasing the
media density on the small sphere achieved the desired results.
Thank you (all of you) for your help!