POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Patina : Re: Patina Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Patina
From: Ron Parker
Date: 1 Nov 1999 08:16:43
Message: <381d92bb@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 29 Oct 1999 18:56:14 -0500, Mike wrote:
>> But with mirrors etc. the number of normals to be stored would become HUGE,
>> requiring massive amounts of memory. Monte Carlo sampling around the curent
>> intersection would give nearly the same result.
>
>Shouldn't be if you just store the normal at the intersection point of the
>surface in question.  There could only be one normal per pixel, which I supposed
>could create quite a few limitations.  Ah well, just a thought.

It's not true that there'd be just one normal per pixel.  It wouldn't be easy to
come up with a scene to demonstrate this, but it could be done.  Basically,
because of partial reflection, a single eye ray can spawn a couple dozen rays
inside the scene, any or all of which could hit the object in question.