POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Animations : Re: Animations Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:28:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animations
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 30 Oct 1999 01:29:00
Message: <381A8259.AF8C9CEA@geocities.com>
Well, I think that it is really 'yes'. But tricky.

When I checked, many many moons ago, if you output .TGA files, then POV-Ray did
the right thing. The bits stored start on that first line, but the image header
itself should have an offset. The TGA format has X and Y in addition to Width
and Height. I used to take advantage of this for sprites and compositing.

Anyway,  given image tools that do the proper thing, and recognize the offsets
in TGA headers, then you could use that to save time on renderings... (TGA is
not hard. You can program that yourself...)

EXCEPT...

If you have an animation, and are raytracing, it is very possible that other
portions of the image might change. Reflections, shadows, etc. This would then
throw things off for the look and quality of your animation.

omniVERSE wrote:

> No.  And since the partial images get put on the first row I don't see any
> feasible way of simply chroma-keying the black backgrounds out, which if you
> had any black in the scene itself would also get blanked out anyway.

[SNIP]