POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : UV mapping with bezier patches from sPatch : Re: UV mapping with bezier patches from sPatch Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:29:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UV mapping with bezier patches from sPatch
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 23 Oct 1999 18:43:59
Message: <38123a2f@news.povray.org>

> Is there a way to texture the model so that an image_map is mapped only
> once to the whole model?
> If I just add the uv_mapping to the union of beziers and give it a
> pigment { image_map { gif "whatever.gif" } } the image gets mapped to
> every patch.
> So is there a way ?

Yes and no.  Yes, there is a way.  No, it's not easy.

The reason is that sPatch is not aware of uv mapping in POV, and therefore
it does not export any UV coordinates.  So, UVPov (or the superpatch)
assumes that the UV coordinates of each patch are <0,0> on one corner and
<1,1> on the opposite corner.

You would currently have to go in by hand and add uv coordinates to each
patch.  Not fun.

Or, someone could write an exporter for sPatch (IIRC, there's a
sPatch->Moray exporter) which is UVPov-aware.

-Nathan