POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : WARNING: #exec and safety : Re: WARNING: #exec and safety Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:22:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WARNING: #exec and safety
From: Ron Parker
Date: 20 Oct 1999 09:14:03
Message: <380dc01b@news.povray.org>
On 20 Oct 1999 07:58:48 -0400, Nieminen Juha wrote:
>  With povray itself it may be impossible, but I was also thinking that it
>could be a povwin virus which could use some features of the windows
>version (like codemax macros). But I haven't discovered any way yet.
>  Does anyone have any idea (Ron?).

I don't know how you'd do it either.  The hard part would be finding files
to infect, as you said, since POV has no facility for reading directories.
The only way I can think it would work is if there were some way for the
currently running script to get its own name, then read itself and look
for #includes and infect them in the hopes that they'd be shared with other
script files, but two things make that unlikely:  First, a script can't get
its own name.  Second, #read isn't very flexible about what it accepts.  So
I don't see any way to write a POV-only virus.

Of course you could write a script that created a shell script to do the
dirty deed and stuck it in your .login, but that isn't pure POV.  You could
also write one that puts itself in the insert menu on Windows, but I think
that one wouldn't live very long.

One that could live a while and would be pretty close to POV-only would be
a script that adds a shellout to a standard INI file.  That shellout could
then infect the currently-rendering script file.  This still isn't cross-
platform due to the differences in shell syntax and standard commands.