POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : WARNING: #exec and safety : Re: WARNING: #exec and safety Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:28:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WARNING: #exec and safety
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 20 Oct 1999 03:23:22
Message: <380D6E0A.481BA874@xs4all.nl>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> The concern is of course not without cause. But the inclusion of file i/o
> statement has already rendered this argument untrue. Yes, the #exec command
> would facilitate writing malicious scripts, but the potential is already there.
> Anyway, there are a thousand and one ways for the average Windows user to get
> screwed (no, I mean figuratively speaing). Given all these options, is it really
> likely that someone would specifically target the POV users?
> I personally would like to have this functionality, since it is a very flexible
> feature.
>
> Margus

There are of course those outcasts that hate POV enough to target only that
group ;)

But seriously: it would be a great way to bypass all security measures because
there is no virus scanner yet that scans pov-scripts.
I hadn't thought of the possibility before, but Nieminen had a point here. As
with the macro-viruses: it sounds silly until it happens to you.

Remco