POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : plasma, bozo or whatever, just help me out : Re: plasma, bozo or whatever, just help me out Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: plasma, bozo or whatever, just help me out
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 4 Oct 1999 04:38:18
Message: <37f8677a@news.povray.org>
Eitan Tal <eit### [at] netvisionnetil> wrote:
: I know the plasma is a function, I can't seem to see anything near that
: so I am trying to think of something near it.

: all fractals that fractint uses are functions and pretty short.

  But they are _recursive_ functions (which are calculated iteratively, ie.
with loops).
  To my knowledge there's no non-recursive function which you calculate just
once and you get the plasma color at a specific coordinate pair.
  For example, the function that calculates the Mandelbrot set is recursive.
In theory you have to calculate the recursion an infinite number of times
for some points before you can be sure that it actually belongs to the set.
In practice you calculate it only a certain number of times (ie. you make
just an approximation).
  There exist no function that you calculate only once and that gives you
the answer whether the point belongs to the set or not.

  Now I quote myself again:

:>   If the iterative version is enough, one algorithm can be found in my
:> macro (which I think Ken sent to you).