POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Media and Opposite Colors : Re: Media and Opposite Colors Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media and Opposite Colors
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 1 Oct 1999 03:01:18
Message: <37f45c3e@news.povray.org>
Simen Kvaal <sim### [at] studentmatnatuiono> wrote:
: This equation is to be used with bodies travelling at speed v
: *relative* to the observer, but light *always* travels at speed c *relative*
: to the observer.

  There is an effect known as Cherenkov radiation which happens usually in
nuclar reactors when neutrons travel faster than light in water.
  Those neutrons of course travel slower than c but faster than the speed
of the light in water. This causes a radiation which is an equivalent of
the sonic boom for light.

: You can now see that the windmill turns from the heat of the sunlight! The
: black sides absorb much more energy (pressure from the light) and the mill
: starts turning.

  You said it right: from the _heat_ of the sunlight.
  Of course the electromagnetic waves carry energy. I have never said
anything else. You can convert this energy to anything. You can boil water
with sunlight and make a steam engine run. You can use solar panels to
generate electricity and run a car if you want.
  But that's not due to the mass of the light.
  I have read about the solar windmill, and the reason for it to move is
not the mass of the light, but the heat caused by the energy it carries.
Even the theoretical amount of mass of the light would not be enough to
move an object because it's so small.

  The theory says that there's no difference between mass and energy. All
mass is just energy. Everything is just energy.
  This doesn't mean that everything is mass. The fact that everything is
made of atoms doesn't mean that everything is milk just because milk is
made of atoms. Every object has a color, but that doesn't mean that
every object is blue because blue is a color. Every computer program is
made of bits, but that doesn't mean that every computer program is povray
because povray is made of bits.

  (Cool, I succeeded in introducing povray somewhere in this off-topic
thread... :) )

:>main(i,_){for(_?--i,main(i+2,"FhhQHFIJD|FQTITFN]zRFHhhTBFHhhTBFysdB"[i]

: What does this code do? I've tried it with Borland, but I get some error
: messages. "Cannot call main from main" et.c.

  You have to compile it as C, not C++.