POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Media and Opposite Colors : Re: Media and Opposite Colors Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:11:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media and Opposite Colors
From: Ron Parker
Date: 30 Sep 1999 10:50:03
Message: <37f3789b@news.povray.org>
On 30 Sep 1999 10:29:58 -0400, Nieminen Juha wrote:
>Ron Parker <par### [at] fwicom> wrote:
>  The speed of the photon must slow down at least somewhere so that
>the average speed could be less than c.

In the period of time between absorption and re-emission, the photon
doesn't exist.  While it exists, its speed is exactly c.  While it
doesn't, it doesn't have a speed but you can make a convincing argument
for assuming a value of zero.  The time during which it doesn't exist
is small but nonzero, and it happens many many times while the photon
is traveling in a medium.

>  If the photon is absorbed by a molecule, why does the photon leave the
>molecule in the exact same direction as it entered it?

This is something I don't know offhand.  I suppose that the ability to do
that over a given frequency range is what makes it a transparent molecule
rather than an opaque one, however it comes by that ability.  Something to
do with dielectric constants and such, but I changed majors before we got
into any of the heavy stuff.

It's also possible that it was an oversimplistic abstraction given to
first-year physics students. :)